Sunshine and cooler temperatures will bring Florida residents out of the house but potentially into danger. Here are some statistics on injuries to pedestrians and bicyclists in the Sunshine State.
- Florida has twice the national average of pedestrian fatalities
- Pedestrian crashes account for 3% of all traffic crashes but result in 20% of traffic fatalities
- 1 in 5 traffic fatalities is a pedestrian
- 7% of pedestrian crashes result in fatalities, whereas only 1% of all traffic crashes result in fatalities
- 3 pedestrians are killed every day, almost 10 pedestrians are killed every week
- 17 pedestrians are injured every day, almost 120 pedestrians are injured every week
- 1 in 20 traffic fatalities is a bicyclist
- 92% of bicycle crashes result in injuries, whereas 52% of all traffic crashes result in injuries
- Bicycle crashes account for 2.2% of all traffic crashes and result in 4% of all injuries
- A cyclist on a sidewalk or crosswalk has the rights and duties of a pedestrian. A cyclist on the road has the rights and duties of a motor vehicle.
- A bicycle rider or passenger under 16 years of age must wear a bicycle helmet that is properly fitted, is fastened securely, and meets national standards.
- Florida has ranked in the top 3 in bicycle and pedestrian fatalities every year since 2001.
- 2.3 bicyclists are killed every week
- 88 bicyclists are injured every week
Attorney Jason Weisser of Shuler, Halvorson, Weisser, Zoeller and Overbeck comments about pedestrian and bicyclist accidents: “With the snow bird season approaching and cooler weather making it inviting for people to be outdoors, its time to think about safety. When residents and Florida visitors are behind the wheel, they need to always follow traffic laws when pedestrians and bicyclists are present. If you were injured in an accident and want to discuss your rights, please contact my office for a free consolation”.
Jason Weisser is a personal injury attorney specializing in all types auto and motorcycle accidents. For more information and to find out what rights you have contact him at Shuler, Halvorson, Weisser, Zoeller and Overbeck. He is Board Certified by the Florida Bar as a Civil Trial Lawyer. Mr. Weisser is actively involved in Civil Trial Litigation specializing in wrongful death from Traffic Accidents. He also is an expert on Medical Malpractice, Class Action litigation, Trucking Accidents, Maritime Actions, Products Liability, Consumer Law and Motor Vehicle Accidents. https://www.shw-law.com/attorneys/jason-d-weisser/